Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jack didn't give me any "Banana Pancakes"


Jack Johnson. One of my favorite musical artists. I have wanted to see him in concert for so long!

The bank I work for sponsors a park where several outdoor concerts are held every summer. The bank gives its employees the opportunity to get into any of the concerts there for free simply by working the bank's booth for a few hours before the main band starts.

When I heard Jack Johnson was coming to play at this park, I was thrilled! I patiently waited for the e-mail to come asking for volunteers. Suddenly, it's three days before the concert, and I realized I hadn't yet received that e-mail.

I was pretty bummed to find out all the volunteer spots had already been filled, and seeing how we would have to spend $80 for Zach and I to go to the concert, buying tickets was not an option either. My manager told me he would ask the guy in charge to let him know if any spots opened up for me.

The day of the concert one of my coworkers asks me what I was doing that night. I proceed to tell her how I will not be attending the Jack Johnson concert, but that I wish I was.

About 15 minutes later my manager gets a call from the marketing guy in charge of the booth. Someone has ditched out last minute, and there was now a spot open!

He asked me if I still wanted in, and I answered with a "Yes!" as soon as I heard the words, "Jack Johnson" come out of his mouth.

As you now know, I = Jack Johnson fan; however, Zach ≠ Jack Johnson fan. No worries, though, I have a loving and supportive husband that would go to any concert in the world just so he could spend more time with me (or at least that's what I told him...).

Needless to say, Zach volunteered at the booth with me for 2 short hours before the concert, and we in turn received 2 VIP passes in! They had a separate area where "VIP" people could hang out and enjoy free pop, nachos, music, and SHADE!

After feeling pretty dang sweet in the VIP section, we went to the car to get our blanket then headed back to the concert to await listening to the beautiful, soothing music I had been waiting for.

The only bad thing for non-smokers about outdoor concerts is the freedom for people to smoke anywhere they want. About the only spot left was directly behind 6 adults who were-you guessed it-smoking. No big deal; surely they would not smoke for the entire concert. You guessed it again-they did.

Not only did we have smoke blown into our faces, but these 6 adults progressively became drunk as the night went on. One of the ladies tried to stand up ("tried" that is) and stepped on me without even noticing. They also slowly started inching their way closer and closer to Zach and I...creepy...

I kept trying to send Jack telepathy signals to play my favorite song, "Banana Pancakes." Sadly he wasn't able to read my mind :( Since Jack wasn't cooperating and our friends in front of us grew more and more obnoxious with the more and more alcohol their bodies consumed, we decided to beat the rush and call it a night a little early.

Even though Jack didn't play me "Banana Pancakes," I still thoroughly enjoyed a free date night with Zach-Jack's other songs that he played were pretty sweet too I guess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment