Monday, November 8, 2010

First Impressions

Today I had my first day of work as a full-time teller at my new branch. Think of a bad first day of work. Maybe you get a stain on the front of your shirt on the way, or realize at lunch you left your tag on your new shirt, or maybe you have really bad gas that day :/ I could only wish those kinds of things happened to me today.
My alarm went off at 6:27 A.M. I felt decently rested, but had a funny feeling in my stomach. As the morning progressed I started to feel more and more nauseous. I figured it was because I'm not used to waking up quite this early and that it would go away as the day went on.
I get in my car and push the address of the bank into my GPS. It's 7:46 and my ETA is 8:09-not bad. After 15 minutes of driving my ETA has gone up to 8:18 because I am in stand-still traffic on Highway 169 by downtown KC. That's ok, though, because I still have two minutes to spare.
As I enter into the city part of my drive, I realize I do not know what the speed limit is on this road because I have not seen any signs. "I'll just keep up with traffic and be fine," I tell myself. While driving at the tail end of a group of vehicles, suddenly a man in the road jumps into the middle of the road and starts waving his arms! Almost hitting the man, I slammed on my brakes. Turns out this man is not just any man; he is a police officer that is motioning for me to pull over to a side road where his motorcycle is parked. Awesome.
I pull over and he tells me that he clocked me going 47 in a 35. I tried to state my case telling him this is my first day of work down here, and I have not seen any speed limit signs. He says he will try to get me on my way as quick as possible. He was fairly quick....at giving me a ticket! Seriously!? My ETA is now 8:28, and I clocked in at 8:33. Late for my first day of work-always a great impression.
So a ticket is not the best way to start your week at a new job, but things could be worse.
For some reason I was having troubles with my password working on my computer. My assistant branch manager was on the phone with Tech Services at my window trying to help me get things figured out. All of the sudden I felt very light-headed and thought I was going to throw up. But me, I never throw up when I get sick. In the last ten years I have thrown up one time.
Despite my previous good luck with throwing up, today was not so lucky. I asked to excuse myself to the restroom. The restrooms in the bank are in the basement and the door to the basement has a code on it to get in. As I'm running toward the door I ask my supervisor what the code is.
When I reach the door, one hand is covering my mouth while I start to heave, and the other hand is quickly trying to enter the code to the door. I keep pushing the code in over and over, but it is not opening! My supervisor came running over and entered the correct code.
I darted down the stairs looking for the restrooms. As I am running through the carpeted break room I start to chuck. Vomit is coming out of my mouth, onto the carpet, while I continue to run and frantically look for the ladies room. I finally spot it, push open the door and start to throw up again. The door closes behind me, and the lights were not turned on yet. So here I am, standing in the dark constantly heaving and throwing up. Vomit is now in my hair and puddled on the ground...in the dark.
I find the light switch, step over the puddle, and run to the toilet where I continue to throw up. After I get myself cleaned up, I walk back into the break room to look for a mop. Instead, I find my new manager cleaning up my vomit from the carpet. Again, an awesome first impression.
With cheeks bright red from embarrassment, I ask for a mop so I can clean up my mess in the bathroom. Did I mention that I had Cinnamon Life cereal for breakfast, so the whole bathroom reeked of cinnamon puke? Not the most pleasant smell.
I go back upstairs thinking I can make it the rest of the day. I feel fine now. Shortly after this, a customer walks up to my window with very strong perfume. My nose did not like that smell, and I suddenly felt sick again. I run back down to the restrooms for trip #2.
I have now determined that I do not feel fine, and I need to go home. I tell my supervisor, and start counting my drawer. I had an error while trying to balance and had to have my supervisor come over and help me troubleshoot the problem. While he is troubleshooting away, I start to feel nauseous again. Come on! I lock my drawer and computer and run back down to the basement where I threw up 4 more times. I want so badly to go home, but can't because my drawer is not balancing.
We finally figure out the error later on and I balanced and got the heck out of there. I just kept telling myself all day, "It can't get much worse from here. It has to get better!"
I called my mom after I left work only to find out that the same thing is happening to her and my brother. I was home in South Dakota this weekend, so we were all three together. It must have been something we ate and it only affected the three of us for some reason. Hopefully this is just a 24 hour bug, though, and I'll be back to work tomorrow!
This was definitely my worst first day of work, but it still could have been worse...right?

2 comments:

  1. Yuck! What an awful first day!!! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jess! How horrid. I guess this one's logged away in your memory bank!

    ReplyDelete